Harry F. “Bud” Dietrich was a part of Dietrich Chevrolet which was located on Locust Street where Hanna Auto Body is today. He was very active in the community serving as Fire Chief, President of the Chamber of Commerce, President of Farmers State Bank and President of the Henry County Planning Board.
In November 1949, he purchased the land where the park now sits with the intention of creating a community park. He, along with family and friends, worked to improve the pasture by removing fences, removing brush and planting trees.
In December 1951, he sold the land to the Chamber of Commerce to be used as a town park. In 1955, the Chamber of Commerce donated the land to the Town of Middletown as a community park.
Mr. Dietrich was still active in organizing volunteers to make improvements to the park. The Lions Club became involved in making monetary donations and the baseball diamonds were built and playground equipment installed. The Lions Club later built the “Community Building” in the west end of the park.
After Mr. Dietrich’s death, the Chamber of Commerce strongly urged the Town Council to rename the park in his honor. The park still bears his name today.